The purpose of the proposed assembly:
- Call attention to the requirement of Newcastle Council by way of the Local Government Act to provide adequate, equitable and appropriate services to the community, and that dog-friendly beach access for 40% of ratepayers with dogs is a service that is not now being adequately provided.
- Promote the integration of responsible dog owners in society.
- Demonstrate the health and fitness aspects of exercising on beaches for humans and supervised dogs.
- Call attention to the hierarchy of governance, Local Government’s lack of a Crown to govern in its own right.
- Promote peaceful political expression as an implied right in the constitution.
- Invite Newcastle Council to respect this constitutional right without the need to undermine it by touting council by-laws.
Assembly invitations, details and conditions here.